Friday, January 10, 2014

George Town The Hard Way

Crashing waves on the rocks going out the cut, and this was the east part!
Saturday dawned and it had been blowing pretty good all night. According to the weather guru, today or Monday would be the best day to head to Georgetown. Well he was wrong and we found that out after we headed out. Dave and Toni, (oh wise ones, on their 10th trip or so) said they weren't going. So we headed out by ourselves. The cut had crashing waves as usual but it wasn't that bad.

 It was the waves outside and the direction. They were not as east as the weather guru had predicted and basically southeast which was the direction we were going. There were 3-5 ft. waves with an occasional 7 footers. One of those 7 footers broke right at the lifelines of our boat sending gallons of saltwater into the cockpit and some splashing down onto the navigation station. I was soaked from the waist down and had to stay that way for the next six hours while we plodded down to George Town. To say the least, I was not a happy sailor! Finally, after five hours, Al admitted it was a mistake to go out. I had not wanted to go in the first place. He kept telling me he was trying to get me to the doctors. I said my ear had been clogged for three weeks, what was another two or three days!
At least it ended as a pretty day!

We anchored off Monument Beach and spent the rest of the day trying to get the salt off of the boat.  However, we did end the day with a beautiful sunset.

 The next day we moved closer to town so that I could go to church while Al hauled water and filled out tanks. Unfortunately, there was no bread at Exuma Market and I was out, so I baked bread in the afternoon.

On Monday we headed to the medical clinic. It was a very interesting experience. You sign in. Then you are to give a urine sample, get weighed and have your blood pressure taken. The results were all put on a scrap of paper that you hand the nurse which the nurse threw it away before she wrote in on the chart, so she asked me what it was. To do these various things, you had to go to different doors in the building going in and outside several times. Finally, you are sent back to the waiting room to wait to be called by the doctor. I went in, he asked what was wrong, I told him, he looked in my ear and said it definitely was infected.
He sat down and started writing things down, not saying a word. I started asking questions all the while he is talking so softly that I could not hear him. Finally, I said “Doctor, I cannot hear out of my left ear, could you please speak up.” He wrote a prescription for Augmentin, antihistamines and vitamin C. I had to take them to the pharmacy at another door in the clinic. They fill them, give you the slips with the cost on them, then you go back to the first window to pay for them. Then you go back to the pharmacy with the paid receipt and get your medicine. No mention of what to do if it is not cleared up by the end of the medicine or anything thing about follow up. It cost me $100 at the clinic for the visit and medicine. I don't know what it would cost at a private doctor who come in once every two weeks. It is still clogged while I write this , luckily I have not had any pain, and I only have two more days to go, so I only can hope.

After the clinic we went to do laundry and later went to check out Volleyball Beach where the cruisers hang out.
Seeing the mile markers felt like coming home.

 The same post with all the mileages was there as it always has been.

Baltimore only 1089 miles, but that is a straight line!


















The tourist were feeding the stingrays on the beach.  

The sting rays swim right up to you.
They come and will eat conch out of your hand! It was fun to watch them and try to get
They will eat from your hand!
pictures.  I got this interesting water shot when trying for the sting rays.

A mistake which I think is neat!












Men and women enjoying yoga on the beach.








 I am doing yoga on the beach again every morning. One of the cruisers is a very good instructor, so she gives us a good workout. This was interesting using up turned picnic tables for some of the poses.

 The afternoons are usually filled with hiking to the beach or the Monument.
Toni, Dave and Al at the Monument.










Once in a great while you will come across an interesting insect,
Interesting spider along the trail





A bright spot of color every once in awhile.







 flower 







or interesting hermit crabs.  This one is in a shell about 1 inch long.
Not the gorgeous view we are looking for, but there are still plenty of others.

There is a new addition to the monument spot, some sort of dish with a solar panel. We are not sure if it is for the local internet company or something else. There are still some gorgeous views but the dish is not a pretty addition!


Two of the many beautiful views.
 Happy hours and game nights are the way we spend many evenings, so as you can see, we are into the George Town groove!  Now if I could only get this ear to heal so we could snorkel!



No comments: