Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Very Educational Week

This week was somewhat educational in more ways than one.  Al attended several seminars this week.  One was on using the Kindle for email.  We don’t have one at this time but have given thought to getting one and he wanted to learn what it can do other than for reading books.  He also attended a seminar on using the single side band radio for email again for a future possibility. 

Shaving Al's head
 I became a barber for an afternoon shaving Al’s head once again.  I could not believe he let me do it the first time.  I cut those thick gray curls right off to ½ inch all around.  He liked it so much the last time that he wanted me to do again.

Unfortunately we became educated on using the doctor in Georgetown.  Somehow I got a staph infection.  It looked like a bite at first.  I started to worry about it on the previous Friday.  Unfortunately, the doctor is only in on Thursdays.  He flies in from Nassau.   I waited all week to see him.  We took our dinghy to get to the office.  It was quite rough and as we were landing the dinghy on the beach it turned sideways and caught a wave which soaked me from the thighs down.  That is the first time I ever entered a doctor’s office soaking wet!  As in the states, after two hours I saw the doctor.  He was very good and told me I needed to come back the next day for his assistant to work on it.  When I said how rough it was getting there, he offered for his assistant to come pick us up in town to bring us to the clinic and return us to town.  Now that is a service you don’t get too often in the states!  I am happy to say I am on the mend.

Al and I each learned how to play bocci ball this week as well.  They had a tournament on Volleyball Beach.  They drew names for partners.  Al and I and our partners lost in the first round, but we walked away with a bottle of wine from the door prizes they had.  It is nice that you don’t have to be good to win a prize!

The next day we went to the Exuma Garden Club Horticultural Fair.  They had about four small school bus loads go.  Compared to Lancaster County Farm shows this was a mini farm show, however, it was what I expected since they cannot grow much here.  They had vegetables, baked goods, plants, a few animals and plant displays. This little Bahamian girl was so proud of her vegetable floral design that I just had to get her picture. We had an interesting nature walk with a guide who was originally from Scotland.    
Pizza Party on the Beach
Afterwards, Toni and Dave, Sue and Don and Al and I had lunch at a local eatery. Then there was a pizza party on Sand Dollar beach to end the busy day.  There must have been thirty different types of pizzas which is my kind of meal!

We took Blue Heaven across the harbor to Kidd Cove near Georgetown the next day so I could go to church and Al could haul water to the boat.  Afterward we decided to anchor at Hamburger Beach for the first time, so that later we could attend the function on the beach.  We hiked to the ocean side for a walk on the beach in the afternoon.  Later we attended the pot luck and jam session at the Sand Bar.  It was a lot of fun.  The cruisers and towns people who come with their instruments and their voices were great.  There were two darling dancers, all of 14 and 18 months old, enjoying the music.  Also, there was a young boy who enjoyed playing a small hand drum with the rest of the adults.  It is so much fun seeing all ages enjoying themselves. 
Our Go Go Dancers
Uke Player
Young performers having fun.

No comments: