Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Great Invasion



When we awoke and Al looked out in the cockpit he said, “You don’t want to look outside.”  I said, “Why?” and of course I went to look.  Thousands of bugs were covering our cockpit, bimini, enclosure and anywhere else they could land.  If it was light colored they landed there and left little black dots all over.  They were not mosquitoes and did not bite, but they were disgusting in such numbers.  I spent the entire morning with Simple Green, a Teflon pot scrapper and a rag trying to get rid of the dots and bugs.  And you thought we just sat around sailing all day!!!  After passing through the Alligator River swing bridge the sailing was great to our next wilderness anchorage.  We stayed out further from land hoping not to have a repeat of the bug invasion.

 

For all my Strong Women Friends



 
Luckily, the bugs were not like yesterday, only having a little clean up.  We motored through the Alligator/Pungo Canal where there were a lot of upended trees with their roots sticking out of the water like modern sculptures.  Motoring so much, you might wonder what we do all day. I have magazines and books to read. I work crossword puzzles to exercise my mind and hand and ankle weights to exercise the body.  I do rug hooking and scrap booking for my creative outlet.  When possible, I use the internet for email response, blogging and banking.  What does Al do?  He does the navigating and steering.  I tried to give him breaks on the last trip but he did not know what to do with himself, so he would rather be on the wheel or using our auto pilot and he be the eyes on the water way.
We anchored off the town of Belhaven and took the dinghy ashore.  There was not very much to see at all except a few beautiful homes.  Had drinks with Valerie and Graham on Bonnie Lass who were anchored nearby.  They told us about a new marina on Broad Creek north of Oriental which have introductory rates of $1.25 a foot.  We thought we might go there because we are ready for some pampering. 







No comments: